lördag 23 juli 2011

09 - Mayan ruins in San Francisco

Yesterday I finally got to walk out of the village for a while. I normally never leave the centre, especially not with my camera as this is not really the most secure way to walk around alone as a Gringo. So when the Spaniards invited me for a walk I happily accepted, brought my camera to finally get to take some photos (other than of the centre), and went out with them.

After going past some shops looking for some things to buy, we left the village to go to a place called San Francisco. That is, not the one in USA. This is actually a completely deserted village; the history of the people of this village, completely deserted and burned down and now just a green area without any buildings. Except for one, of course, which is an old Mayan pyramid out of dark grey stone. The same pyramid that is described in the book The Puma's Daughter (previously mentioned in an "extra").

I was really delighted when we could go past the barbed wire (there to keep the cows in, I believe) to go up to the pyramid, climb it and take photos. I took as many photos as my imagination could handle, from the top, from the bottom and from the way up and down. It was quite steep so I had to be careful, but truly it was one of the most fascinating buildings I've seen - completely empty of other tourists, and other people, only the cows and my Spaniard friends. And to again think of the book, and of the protagonist who sat on top of it seeing her village burned, looking from the same view as I was doing. And once again, of the reality, to imagine all the houses surrounding the pyramid years before, with so many people populating them.

There is so much history behind such a place, not just Mayan, and I could probably go on forever romanticizing it. But now, I need to take a rest, keep working with the long lesson plans, wash clothes and cook dinner. And probably some other things I can't remember at the moment.

Enjoy reading!
/Seb

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar