tisdag 19 juli 2011

Extra: The book

(I will be writing these “Extra” updates as well as the normal ones. The difference between them is that these extras are more focused on one thing and will probably be more of interest for certain people)

I'm not sure if any of you recognized the word “Chuj” when I wrote it in the last update. Probably not, seeing as it is one of the native minorities of Guatemala (and I bet most people in Europe can't even point out on the map where this country is). But for those of you who have read the book “The Puma's Daughter*”, or in Swedish “Pumans Dotter”, the protagonist in that story is Chuj.

So, what's so special about that, except maybe that I and many of my classmates read it as a school assignment? Well, to be honest, this whole village is a great spoiler for that book. The story was not only based on the same culture as these people, but also the people themselves. The ones who fled from their home village in The Puma's Daughter were based on these villagers, and the same with Per and the project he started.
I realized this first when I asked him on the way here how he came in contact with this village, and he asked me, “Have you ever read The Puma's Daughter?”, and that was pretty much everything he had to tell me.

Since I hate spoilers myself I'm not going to ruin the book for you who haven't read it and explain it all, but rather suggest that you read it yourself (or at least ask someone who's read it!). But it's fascinating, isn't it? I got to know also that the author was here a couple of weeks ago, and when I met Per for the first time I met her at the same occasion.

*Since I've only read it in Swedish I'm not sure if it's been translated to English, but this is at least what I think it would've been called

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar